Sunday, March 4, 2007

Dollar Tree and Sushi house

Sunday was a slow day. I day woke up around 10 and did some updates on this blog. Then Alla woke up around 12 and told me where I can get my shower curtain three traffic lights away from our place at the shop called Dollar Tree. Guess what? Everything costs a dollar there! Man, I should have gone to that shop first thing before I bought stuff from supermarket. It's like our 2 Dollar Shop, but has much more and it's much bigger. A lot of stuff there is cheaper than at Walmart apparently. I did get my shower curtain and rings (sold separately here for some reason) and about 15 other things, such as pliers, screwdrivers, hand soap. I spent over an hour in that shop! It's really great, finally I found a lot of cheap stuff. Granted some things aren't good quality, but if you are getting a screwdriver made of metal and rubber handle, not that much can go wrong. I'm sure that place would've been heaven for my Mum too :) The shop sells food too, about 1/5 of the store is food. Mostly junk food, but there were some jars of pickles and olives (same size as NZ) and they were only a dollar... Anyway, that made my day.

On the way to Brendan's I visited a hardware store and bought a matching screw to screw in my front number plate. Finally! Before I got some screws from Walmart, but they were too small. So this time I unscrewed on of the screws from the back and found the ones matching it exactly in the hardware store. That means no more driving with the plate inside the cabin behind my windshield.

After this shopping spree I headed to Brendan's and hung out there for a while. It turned out they wanted to have an easy and relaxing day, which was fine with me as I wasn't feeling my best. By about 4 in the afternoon my stomach reminded me to feed it, so I had some Oatmeal ("Quick Oats", which is still raw, but somehow "Quaker Oats" is even less processed, which is what I got from CostCo... a whole nine pounds of it :D). As soon as I finished my bowl, it turned out that Stefan's roommate was having a little celebration as she got a raise at work so we headed to her place first and then Sushi Boat. By the way, the promotion is really a "side motion", because Onnita (that's her name) used to have an office job at an electrical company and now she's going to get paid more for being outside performing maintenance on electric lines. So basically she'll be climbing those road poles... Apparently that's what she wanted -- "I always wanted a job working outside, I hate working at a desk" was what she said. Part of it is true I guess. As she also put it "You come home feeling like you've done an honest day's job", which I can relate to. I don't know too much about her... She is, I think at least partly, Native American (Indean). She is 23. She drinks when emotions get the best of her (according to Stefan). She smokes too. However, she's not a bad person. Touch character, no bullshit (her desk job is taking complaints, so I'm sure she acquired some of that toughness there or through personal experiences). I recon she's cool -- speaks her mind that's for sure.

At their flat Onnita's Mum and brother were present. By the way her Mum is a clothes designer and likes Stefan and how he dresses. Stefan is the styly one of us... In the flat they have a cat, which is really cool -- doesn't fear anyone and lets everyone pat her. Onnita also has a very small, but very energetic and very white dog. She jumps up and down on her two paws it's fun.

All of us then went out to Sushi Boat. It was a reasonably big actual restaurant where they served us with menus and everything. The portions were american size so half of it people took home. I had barbecued eel and tampura and something else I can't remember. That was a pretty good experience. I'll write more about it when I'm not falling asleep like right now....

Tomorrow (Wednesday) I might be going bowling with Alla and some of her friends. Should be fun :)

1 comment:

Tina said...

She's half Mexican (her mum is) but she and her mum both don't like identifying as Mexican. It seems to be some American thing where Mexican = lower class.