Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Day 2 at work and pass written driving test

Woke up early at 7 am and walked to DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) to take my test. Local DMV is about 25 minutes walk from my temporary home. I couldn't find the place, because I foolishly thought I didn't need to check it's location on google maps, but trust my friends to tell me where it is... Finally, after going back and forth a couple of times and asking an innocent bystander where the devil this mysterious DMV was, I found this hangar type building. Inside was the help receptionist who everyone had to see first then fill out the appropriate forms and then she would give you a machine produced ticket with number. After sitting there for about half hour waiting for my cue I was finally called up to one of 16 windows. The guy checked my vision by me looking at a panel with ridiculously large letters, which I could easily see from twice the distance. Here was my worry of failing the eye test set to rest. After checking my documentation I was redirected to my final window where they took my photo and gave me the test to do. By the way if you'd like to see the difference between the NZ and US road rules see
http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/practice-tests.php
I did all these and the flash animation one. I also had previous test from other interns. I still got several questions that I wasn't sure about... Ironically I got all the doubtful ones correct and got one wrong by accident -- not reading the question and answer properly. Anyway, 35/36 is fine, you are allowed to get six wrong. Driving test will need to be done within the next three months, but I won't worry about that now. It's only 15 minutes long and according to people who sat it, quite easy.

After I finished with the DMV it was 10 am. I decided to go back and apply for my Social Security Number, which is very important in U.S. The local Social Security Office is located about 7 minute walk from my temp place --- same place as the mini shopping center I wrote about earlier, with "Rite Aid" as the drug store. It's hard without showing this on the map, but I will get around to labeling things that I've talked about here on Google Earth and sending bookmarks sometime in future.

Getting back to SSO. Once I entered the door a security guard requested to search my bag and told me to press a button on a ticket issuing machine. These machines seem to be the way to go around here! I guess the amount of people using the services requires an orderly and efficient way to service everybody. By the way I noticed later when the he went outside, that the guard carried a medium revolver in a holster on his belt! After applying for SSN I learnt that it may take as long as six weeks to receive the card with the number! Oh well.. out of my control. Just like you have to pay security deposits on many things if you don't have credit history here in US --- and that's anyone who's never been to US and had a credit card here! We thought it was strange that they wouldn't verify that you had credit history in another country even you did have a Visa or even American Express! I guess it would be very expensive to verify reliably.

Anyway, the rest of the day I spent at work. Very light again, maybe tomorrow I'll actually start reading about the products I'm supposed to be testing later....

Tonight I'll have a look at this room. Properly flatting on my own will be a new experience and especially with a girl. I hope she isn't as weird as some think she may be... It's pretty funny that she suggested to pick me up --- weird already or simply a good samaritan? Tonight will tell.

Although... Stefan, who is the other new intern, got a room with a girl who has a problem with alcohol, but she hid it very well. It's not really bad, she apparently drinks only when emotions get the better of her. She is ok, 23 years old, drives us around sometimes... well me just once on Sunday. Anyway... this is just an example something to watch out for...

I need dinner now... rice and chicken are good!

No comments: