Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Went for drive by myself Arranged car

This was the day I drove the guys' car without anyone in it. The car is automatic and I drove it before. The main thing now was to know where I'm going. I went to see a couple of places. The first one, really close, I couldn't see straight away because I couldn't get the keys out of the ignition! So after trying half a dozen times, each time fearing to break the key off, I had to turn around and go back home. Once I was back the key came right out and by that time I had to go see the next place. I later found out from the guys that the key won't come out when the car is not in park and that sometimes it doesn't quite get into park --- which probably what happened to me.

The next place gave me great hopes because it was close to work and it seemed a nice place from the advertisement. When I got there it turned out to be a house of a divorced man in his late thirties or early forties. He had two medium sized, loud barking dogs --- and I don't like big loud dogs and think even small quite dogs are inconvenient. On top of that he said he would have his two children --- both seemed to be under five years of age. The house had a very spacious lounge and there was a TV room. However, what would be my room was reasonably large but was very dark because it had only a single small window. It also wasn't connected to the house central heating system like all other rooms were as it was a late addition to the house. In any case, I made my decision as soon as I saw the two barking dogs racing towards me when I stepped foot into the house :)

The last room I went to see I couldn't find. I drove around for a while and even got onto a freeway by accident but could not locate the entrance to that block of houses. As it later turned out (I called the guy) I had to take a specific highway and take one of the exits from there. I was going to see it the next day, but something else turned up... It appeared now that I would be able to replace one of the German interns who's leaving in three weeks. More on that in another post.

At the end of my drive I actually hadn't reached one of the destinations at all, that was a car. When I got home disappointed from seeing only one place I rang the car guy and he was willing to come to me! So around at 9.30 pm I met him outside. It was a Colombian guy, Edgar, and his wife, both in their fifties. Edgar didn't speak English that great, but his wife seemed completely oblivious to what I was saying. The car itself was a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage De Coupe (2 door) 1.6 Liter engine with a manual transmission and 105000 miles on the odometer, which is low over here. I had a look at the car, it seemed clean and I asked several questions about the car. Edgar didn't know much about car service history, because he only recently acquired the car. I proceeded to drive my first manual on the right. We didn't crash... I even drove it on the highway. In the end I made a deal for $2400 with the guy, because based on all the cars listed on the search page I use it was a very good value. I did take a risk on not knowing the car history, but I figured that the car is not very old and has low mileage.... It did have a blown back light which Edgar changed while I was getting the money for a deposit from our apartment. More about the car later...

No comments: