Saturday, February 24, 2007

First day in San Jose

Arrived 30 min early. Passport control was fine, except had to stand in line three times as I had to fill out a form. Customs was strange as there was none -- I just picked up my bags and was shown to the exit! So far nothing seems to be missing.

Jono, a friend from Victoria Uni who is here a year with two others, picked me up from the airport. He agreed to "look after me" and others took on the other two arrivals, Brendan (with his fiance Kristina) and Stefan. Right now Jono's flat is half empty as the other two flatmates are skiing in Canada for the weekend. Good for me as I get to stay in one of their rooms and get my own bathroom :D

I walked around the neighbourhood. Roads are multilane, everything is really spaced out. Mostly San Jose is a residential city, especially Palm Valley apartments neighbourhood. I walked to some shops -- mini supermarket and some others. Lots and lots of takeaway food outlets congregated together. Probably around ten. And those kinds of little shopping centers are here every 2-3 kms. Othere than that there's not much to see. Definitely need a car to get around this place.

Cars aren't too different. There are more Japaneese cars here than any other state so maybe that's why.

The apartment complex feels expensive, at least on the outside. Palm trees everywhere. The day was sunny and relatively warm so it didn't feel too different to the summer I left. Grass is dark green and looks almost plastic or artificial, because it's so perfect. Once I buy a camera I'll take some photos.

Generally the environment doesn't feel too different. Still there are hills similar to tawa, except much larger distances and a lot more flat ground in between. Vegetation is different -- palm trees in places, but it's not that different -- it's not a rainforest or anything.

Emotionally, only the first night, lying in bed, I realised finally that I'm by myself. Similar feeling to when we first moved to NZ, but somehow feels even further away. I guess it's the first time I'm really on my own. Anyway, it doesn't feel so bad now -- morning of day two.

Things to do are find a flat and get a car. But I may need to wait for the relocation money to be paid to purchase a car.

Well I have to go now. Probably will be my first drive today. I should be ok...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope you are using an efficient means of money transfer!

Paypal is pretty awesome if you have an account in NZ and one in the states. Western Union and other wire transfers, especially ones that rely on telegraphic transfers, will tax the jefferey Harris out of you.